I found a great blog post on an extensive list of toxic ingredients in our beauty and bath products. Would love to share here with everyone. It’s great to keep it in mind when shopping.
Here is your list - The Toxic ingredients in our everyday beauty & bath products
We are all so busy, so many of us have kids and are trying to juggle family, work, money, our health and the health of our family at all the same time. We all need to be as healthy and as energetic as possible and we can no longer be wasting money on tubs of toxic chemicals just because they come in beautiful packaging. Beauty & Bath products listing any of these on the label do nothing but mess with our hormones, zap us of energy and put us at risk of cancer and disease.
(Source: Dr Mercola, EWG, The Chemical Maze)
1. Parabens - Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben. These are synthetic preservatives used in an estimated 13,200 cosmetic and skin care products. Studies link these with beast cancer because their hormone-disrupting qualities mimic estrogen and can disrupt our body’s endocrine system.
2. Mineral Oil, Paraffin, and Petrolatum - These petroleum products coat the skin like plastic – clogging pores and creating a build-up of toxins. They can slow cellular development, creating earlier signs of aging. They’re implicated as a suspected cause of cancer. Plus, they can disrupt hormonal activity.
3. Sodium laurel or lauryl sulfate (SLS), also known as sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) - An engine degreaser, used to break down your skin’s moisture barrier, potentially leading to dry skin with premature aging. And because they easily penetrate your skin, they can allow other chemicals easy access. SLS combined with other chemicals may become a “nitrosamine” – a potent carcinogen.
4. Acrylamide - Found in many facial creams. Linked to mammary tumors.
5. Propylene glycol - Common cosmetic moisturizer and carrier for fragrance oils. A potential cause of dermatitis, may inhibit skin cell growth and linked to kidney and liver problems.
6. Phenol carbolic acid - Found in many lotions and skin creams. Can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma, and even death from respiratory failure.
7. Dioxane - Hidden in ingredients such as PEG, polysorbates, laureth, ethoxylated alcohols. Very common in personal care products. These chemicals are often contaminated with high concentrations of highly volatile 1,4-dioxane that’s easily absorbed through the skin. Its carcinogenicity was first reported in 1965, and later confirmed in studies including one from the National Cancer Institute in 1978.
8. Toluene - May be very poisonous! Made from petroleum and coal tar… found in most synthetic fragrances. Chronic exposure linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver or kidney damage…May affect a developing fetus.
9. Urea - Including diazolindyl urea, imidazolindyl urea. Common preservatives that release formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, that is irritating to the mucous membranes and known to cause contact dermatitis, headaches and internal bleeding.
10. Phthalates - Including di-butyl-phthalate, di-ethylhexyl-phthalate. Used as a plasticizer in everything from skincare, cosmetics, nail polish, perfume to hair products and deodorants. Known to cause damage to the liver, kidneys, lungs and reproductive system. Suspected of causing birth defects.
12. Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) - These chemicals can react with other ingredients in the cosmetic product to form potent carcinogenic chemicals called nitrosamines.
13. Synthetic Fragrances. “Fragrance” on an ingredient list can refer to a combination of any of the thousand separate ingredients used to make up the “fragrance”, many of which are phthalates (ie. toxic carcinogens and hormone disruptors).
14. Synthetic Colors - such as FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Red 40. These are labeled FD&C or D&C followed by a number, they are known to cause skin irritation and sensitivity. Many are also believed to be carcinogenic.